Friday, August 25, 2017

When will my life begin? (a question I ask myself on occasion)


      Hello, I'm back with more doodles! And they're Tangled characters in my cartoon style! Yay!



Back when Tangled first came out in 2010, I was like, yeah they hadn't done Rapunzel, finally. And then thanks to my sister who is spoiler happy and absolutely can't wait to watch the movie when it's announced, I found out her hair is magical. I was upset that they made that a thing, and I had to find out because that sister I mentioned earlier had to look at a coloring book that Disney released before the movie. WHY, DISNEY? WHY THE SPOILERS? (this is like releasing doll versions of Merida's brothers that you could turn them into bears... I was suspicious of that. Or releasing Let It Go so that I could be tempted to skip over that song while watching Frozen for the first time) But I eventually did watch it and it's a nice movie. It's well written, the characters are developed and there is good character development, Mother Gothel in my opinion is a very well written villain and very well designed. Hans could have been that villain if production of Frozen wasn't rushed at the last minute with its rewrite and new developments. I'm not dissing Frozen or discrediting Hans as a bad guy (you know how I feel), but I am questioning whether he actually didn't genuinely care for Anna and Elsa or if that was just another act of his. On the other hand, Mother Gothel is designed to visibly juxtapose Rapunzel and is an abusive parent in a subtle enough way that it isn't traumatizing to children but still understandable. While young, she is attractive in her own right but she has features like jutting cheekbones and cold gray eyes that belie her true nature, and they had the detail of her aging when she wasn't with Rapunzel. I also love Mother Knows Best. Everyone loves And At Last I See The Light (what a long title), but I prefer Mother Knows Best and I've Got A Dream. Similar with Frozen where I prefer Love is an Open Door and For The First Time In Forever over Let It Go (I got over my initial annoyance with it but I don't want a repeat in Frozen 2). And as much as I did go into a rant earlier this year over Moana, I admit the music is good (it's Lin-Manuel Miranda for crying out loud) but I prefer Where You Are and We Know the Way to How Far I'll Go. I also like how Tamatoa parodies the stereotypical villain and how Te Ka was actually Te Fiti minus her heart and Maui gets forgiven by his former victim. Disney has been spending the past few movies not killing off the bad guy, which is good because that teaches children that people have the capability to change for the better and be forgiven, that it could simply be a bad lapse in judgment that leads them to follow that bad way, which gives me hope that Hans will be back in the sequel because he was the very first in this new trend of not killing off the bad guy. Thinking about how different Frozen was going to be before all the rewrites, I'd love to see how it would have turned out with an evil Elsa but I'm also scared that Hans would have ended up dying, especially since at some point, Anna and Hans had actually gotten married without Elsa's consent (I think) and he was a minor bad guy even when Elsa was evil I think, so unless they did like Snow White and had Kristoff just be a help and not end up with Anna at the end, so it looks a lot like Hans would have been dead, whether it was by execution or Elsa's own hand. That was a long sentence. And since I got on the topic of dying villains, MOTHER GOTHEL IS THE ONLY DISNEY VILLAIN TO DIE OF OLD AGE. She's also pretty terrifying when you stop and think about how she was quick to grab a dagger, quick to threaten anyone in her way, quick to knock out the Stabbington brothers, quick to stab Flynn... She spent centuries cheating death with that magic flower, as evidenced by her outdated medieval dress, there must have been people that questioned how she hadn't aged, people that outright asked her about her age, people that become suspicious of her. She wanted Flynn dead because he knew about Rapunzel's existence and took her out of the tower, she could have very easily killed whoever questioned her long existence prior. Mother Gothel couldn't travel too far from her precious flower, but it seems to me she would have had to be a bit nomadic to keep suspicion from her... I am putting a lot of thought into a villain that ended up dead. It'd be cool to see a backstory for her. I am happy that Tangled got a TV show because, it may not be a sequel or a broadway show, but it gets seasons, and there are more adventures in seasons of a TV show than there are in sequels and Hollywood has become too sequel happy in order to get more bang from their profitable ideas, which tires out audiences and the original idea. I love Frozen, but it's been nearly four years already and they're still marketing it and now there's Moana which is stealing some of the love and then you've got this mini marketing war between Frozen and Moana. *Sigh* ANYWAY, I do have plans of including modern renditions of Tangled characters in modern!Frozen, that is if I ever get around to my ideas that I have for it. Well, hope you guys have a good weekend and Hurricane Harvey doesn't cause too much damage. 

If you can, please check out my Redbubble and Society6. It would help me get back to digital doodles and I could add more doodles more frequently here and to those shops in the future. Redbubble has sales every Monday and Thursday, in case you want to save money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment