Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Inktober 2017 #1


     Hello. You've probably been waiting for some doodles since last week. Well, I joined Inktober again this year (I'm not sure if I should capitalize it or not, so expect that I to constantly change size) and today I finished my first index card! 

Some of the themes have changed and this card's theme is Disney music. I was originally going to have regular music as a theme but it turned Disney because the very first prompt was swift and using Taylor Swift would have been too obvious 😅. At least I'm not making this a month of Frozen/Modern Frozen because you would probably get tired of that fast (I think it's cool how other artists can have this whole theme for the entire month but I don't know if I could keep my sanity doing that, much less yours). So I'm going off of this prompt this year like I did last year but the prompts usually change yearly and different artists follow different prompts or make their own, or you could be totally not mainstream and not go by a prompt, personal preference. 

Let me explain the drawings before this becomes a completely different topic: Mulan opened my inktober by considering becoming as swift as the coursing river (be a man). Usually people don't worry about a background during inktober which is fine by me but I'm making these backgrounds this year and even I'm wondering why because Instagram's square cropping thing isn't kind to my rectangular piece of paper that ends up getting detailed and you know I don't normally do backgrounds. To show it's a river, I added fish, not blobs like my sister thought initially. To show Mulan is still in the army getting trained, a mass of other soldiers plus two guys that get to stand out and actually be characters. I might name them Bob and Steve. I drew Mulan with the cartoon eyes I use to imply exotic and/or femininity minus the eyelashes because Disney Mulan's face is drawn more feminine when she is herself but becomes more masculine looking when she is Ping. I did imply a more feminine body shape, though. I still haven't drawn an Asian man in my cartoon style to see what eye style would work so Bob and Steve got slit eyes. Maybe there's a lot of dust getting in their eyes. As much as I don't care much for her movie, I drew Moana for day 2 being divided between her expected role in life and what she wants to do. Naturally, I had to draw the ocean (her namesake. Her dad wasn't thinking that through, was he?) and a coconut tree (consider the coconut... NO. I don't like coconut 😠 I just like the song and call it the coconut conspiracy) but we've also got sand as implied by her footprints and the very faint dots, and she is carrying the chieftain's headdress, all the while looking at the sea and thinking "what's wrong with me?" I've asked that question too, but let's not get into that right now. Day 3 is a princess loved by many (I'd say all but I cannot speak for everyone) and I like this princess too. I don't obsess over her like I do over Hans or like how other people do but I like her and I am glad that she got her own TV series, like I don't see much room for a sequel but you can stuff so many adventures into a TV show. I think they gave her a redesign, though, to make her look more like Anna and Elsa, which I don't like because they are separate stories and I did not see same face syndrome in those three in particular, and she grew her hair back? That's only because everyone loves the long hair aesthetic. What about Rapunzel having adventures with short hair? What about Flynn telling the story of how he became a dad? Never mind, I'll do it myself. Anyway, here Rapunzel is falling into poison ivy all the while (I like that, don't I?) thinking she should have listened to her "mother". Poor Punzie. Day 4 is something of an abomination as Sebastian looks like a thumb with a face sticking out of a crab shell. Point is, he's supposed to be convincing Ariel that life is better underwater but instead he convinced a group of humans that made it their dream to be a mermaid. I'll admit I spent a portion of my childhood pretending to be a mermaid and being fascinated with them until my teens, but I got over it for the most part. I will tell you that I may or may not have created a type of creature based off of them but I'm just going to leave it at that for now. 

I didn't know earlier what I was going to draw tomorrow but now I have an idea so you should be seeing that next week. I don't promise any other doodles because yesterday I had my first ever interview and today I had a drug test. I don't take drugs so I will be very surprised if I don't pass with flying colors. It's for Publix so let's see how this goes. It will mean less doodling time (aw shucks) but I will have money for producing future doodles, digital and traditional, so that's a good thing. I sent a direct message to Wacom through Instagram over the weekend asking if they refurbished their pens because I personally think it would be a waste to throw out the old one but I got no response. I need to back up my phone better because I was backing up to a 16 GB flash drive but my phone can hold about 30 GB and most of the usb is videos now... and I'm not finished! Well, I scanned this card because I've been going crazy backing up my Instagram pictures to declutter my phone of them... and I deleted the cropped versions of these drawings. Oops. I brought up contrast by a lot when I scanned this, so you can see it pretty clearly at the size I'm portraying it but it made it look pixel-ly. *Sigh* I'll lower it for next scan. Well, if I come back with a doodle on Friday, yay. If I don't, see you next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment