Friday, October 11, 2019

Inktober 2019 1: You mean there's more to Bittersweet than Mike and Sandra?


      Hello. I wasn't sure if I was really gonna do Inktober this year but if you read the title, then you know that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm doing kinda like last year where I dropped the prompts and focused on my OCs but this year I'm drawing them in the manga style they originated in and not in my stylized realism as portraits so let's go:







Day one I started with a QUEEN (and someone's grandma) I like to call Ari O'Hara. She is a strong Jewish woman who don't need no man, something she picked up thanks to having been born in Denmark prior to 1940 and surviving the Nazi occupation. Ari escaped thanks to the Danish resistance and landed far away from her homeland. She has managed to thrive despite going through so many hardships but now happens to be a bit protective of her only son. Day two was a young Eoghan Byrnes about 21 years old before his left eyebrow scar and broken nose but that's what happens when you join the military, right? His family managed to escape Ireland during the potato famine and found themselves in a place where they would never have to worry about the poverty or political troubles in their homeland anymore. The Byrnes still carried the concept of joining the armed forces for the benefits up until Eoghan's generation. He joined and made a career of it, became known as Chancin' Byrnes... but there were negative events in his personal life and he found himself the only member of his family. He still has his job and his daggers, in case you were wondering. By day three I was getting tired of drawing full body poses and fantastical time-periody clothing so I took a break by drawing Mike's parents, the OG Morgans. First I drew his mom Wendy circa her college days. Don't ask me what she studied because as soon as she came across her future husband, she decided to take it easy and he was the sole breadwinner in their marriage, even if it was the 70's. Wendy suffered so many miscarriages that she refers to Mike, her only child, as her "miracle baby Michael". Would she have preferred that he stayed close to home in Chicago? Absolutely, but she wants him to live his life too. And then there's Richard Morgan, Mike's dad and Wendy's husband. He was a popular guy in high school and college... Popular with the girls at least, not knowing the meaning of the words "loyalty" and "chastity" until he met Wendy (we hope). His ancestors would have been supremely disappointed in him but at least he turned out to be a good dad. This is during his college days so he don't look like that no more. After him is Ethan O'Hara. Oh, you heard the name before? Yeah, his mom is Ari. He grew up sheltered thanks to his mother's protective measures and he wants very much to live up to his family's reputation and expectations but also to be his own person. That last part doesn't always come so easily, especially when his decisions complicate everything. And last but not least is Helena. She has an identical twin named Juliana and they come from a very mixed background of French, Japanese, possible Chinese... Doing a DNA test on them would really be something. She and Ethan become a power couple and mix up their genes again for the next generation. Isn't that something?

I'm currently on day eleven in my Inktober so I think Monday I will be posting another batch for you to enjoy. I would have done this on Wednesday but I hit my internet limit on the home WiFi when I started the draft so here it is today, which is fine, at least I'm remembering to update. So anyway, I hope you enjoy your weekend and till next doodle, toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment