Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Inky OCtober 2: Super Teens Mains


      Hello again. I said I would post days three to six next and here they are: 




Yes, my Super Teens Tamiko, Ariana, Wilhelm, and Aidan. These characters were created like a year or two after Mike and Sandra and it was because of a roleplay? My sister and I were drawing a roleplay comic that breaks pretty much every rule of roleplay but we didn't know this at the time. The first time I drew Tamiko was then and she was Hispanic with dark hair. I don't even remember what prompted me to change her ethnicity and hair color but I made sure to include a Hispanic girl in her posse anyway. For this drawing, I wanted Tamiko to be distinguishable as ethnically Japanese to combat her unnatural hair. Problem is, I don't feel like she looks much like she is Japanese. A follower of mine on Instagram commented that she thought she looked Japanese (I have yet to respond 😱) but I don't know... maybe my style's minimalist approach doesn't convey it the way I want it to without drawing stereotypical slanted Asian eyes. If you haven't noticed, these drawings are bigger because everybody here got a page to themselves. Also, in order to convey dark hair, I am inking in only their eyebrows because I am working with micron pens and I don't want to deplete my ink. I am also trying to ink in dark eyes, which I realize I did not do with Mike, but the dark eyes I am inking in are either black or dark brown. Mike's eyes are like a medium dark brown, might have looked weird if I had done it then. I'm not entirely fond of how Ariana and Wilhelm's bangs came out but it's the price you pay when you draw heavily stylized characters in a less stylized manner. I actually got a comment on my Instagram post of Ariana that my style reminded them of old Archie comics. I feel so honored because I grew up reading old Archie comics and it probably has influenced my style in a subliminal manner. What else can I say here about this art and these characters? Nothing is coming to mind now besides how Aidan went from being the quiet and serious bad boy type to having a boisterous personality and cracking jokes. Well I'll be seeing you next time I post more inktober stuff, which should be soon because I just finished the last of another set of characters today. See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment