Saturday, July 1, 2017

Is... is that art? (aka The Return of Manga OCs)


      Hello! So I have finished up a drawing (mostly) and I scanned it before I color it in so here is a preview:


It's Aidan! Yay... you don't understand the suit? Well, he's a superhero. The kid behind him looking upset and insecure? Also him, from another time when family life was rough. I'm drawing this for a kid I know and I hope he likes it once I color it and give it to him. I'd like to digitize this in the future and add Celtic braiding to that section that goes down the middle of his torso. I've been doing inbetween doodling too and here's some of it:


The first one there is a possible future OC inspired by my summer reading/research on Vikings and Ireland. I actually checked out in April I think this book about the Celtic world. Very interesting, don't remember if I mentioned it here, but they perfected the chariot wheel, it was ok to start a fight and possibly kill somebody over a piece of pork (the power of bacon), and human heads were used as decoration. Both Celts and Vikings practiced human sacrifice, wore tunics and trousers, held feasts, buried their dead with items owned during life... I get the feeling they were related, at least distant cousins. Also, both were known to wear beards or mustaches and wash their hair with lime to appear blonder. Blond was beauty even back then and it is worthy to note that men were basically dying their hair. AND, there were Celtic tribes that inhabited Switzerland, the southern part of Germany, and Austria. In fact, the word Teutonic has the root from the Celtic/Irish word for people:tuath. So my theory is the Celts and Teutons were related and ended up branching away from each other both linguistically and geographically. And I swear you can see the Celtic influence in languages: French uses a lot of letters that are either not pronounced at all or pronounced differently from how they look (to an English speaker); I refer to Portuguese as Celtic Spanish (pay attention to the S sound in both Portuguese and Irish); and the Netherlands was under French rule until the Vikings came along, therefore it is ok in Dutch to confuse everybody with a word like Kooikerhondje which is actually pronounced koi-ker-hund (a dog breed in case you're wondering... That's as far as my Dutch goes).

So the history/linguist buff in me took over this blog post. I haven't been able to have this sort of intellectual conversation with anyone besides my sister so I guess I'm making up for it here. But the first doodle is related to my informal studies on those two people groups that invaded the subject of my last paragraph. And the second doodle is a teen version of Aidan's mom. Yes, this may be the summer you see all the parents of my current OCs. Of course, not as much thought has gone into their parents, the girl above doesn't have a name, and I like to stay within the culture of the character when choosing names. Aidan is Irish and I want him to be as Irish as possible, so I changed from the American spelling Aiden to the more Irish spelling used, he has an ethnically Irish last name that coincidentally enough is tied to both history and national legend, and his parents must have Irish names. His dad has already been named, but not his mother 😞 and a lot of the very Irish girl names that aren't common (like Kelly) aren't written like they're pronounced/anglicized which not only makes it difficult for me, but would make it difficult for anyone else not of Irish culture or origin (I do have Irish ancestry but I was raised in a Cuban American culture far from Irish influence). And even names that have been anglicized and made common have spelling variants based off of their Gaelic origins: Aodh - Hugh, Eoghan - Owen, Domhnall - Donald... But I will put a little more brainpower into naming her so that this sassy little thing doesn't have to just be referred to as Aidan's mom, but can be considered her own person. Well, hopefully I can produce some more doodles and would you believe it that I finally got the hands right when I was upset? It's weird how much I've been struggling with hands on paper lately but can draw them recently when in a bad mood. Have a nice weekend. I don't think I'll be busy this weekend besides making sure my little dog is comfortable with the fireworks (like almost every other dog, she's scared of them and scratched at our back door last night and snuck in when I opened it) but I will be busy next weekend. Hope to come back before then with some doodles 😊


No comments:

Post a Comment